by The Matchbox
5:10pm, 24th June, 2016
Even as the world shudders under the shock of the results of the Brexit referendum, news keeps coming about how this historical decision can have further complications. This is an incident where intolerance, xenophobia and bigotry masked by the slogans of independence and liberty, won out against the universal notion of brotherhood and unity.
After a hectic day of polling on Thursday, the citizens of the UK woke up to a nervous Friday, when the results were announced in the morning, after the counting process. The results were as you’d have come to know, 52% in favour of leaving the EU as opposed to the 48% in favour of staying. The views of the majority are clear and democracy is upheld, but what the poll didn’t take into account are some glaring repercussions for the UK and the World for the majority’s one moment of satisfaction. In fact, the negative effects have already started being felt everywhere; financial markets have started to tumble, tensions are rising between the countries of the UK as they remain spilt over this issue, and the Prime Minister David Cameron has made an official statement of his resignation in the coming months. All this seems to hint towards greater turmoil in the UK for at least the next 2 years. The following shows a small facet of the twitter storm which raged in the aftermath of the decision and also includes some interesting facts you might have missed about the polls:
No matter the outcome, #Brexit polls demonstrate how quickly half of any population can be convinced to vote against itself. Quite a lesson.
— Edward Snowden (@Snowden) June 23, 2016
Interesting fact: The country has lost MORE money in the hours since the OUT result than it could ever save from not paying into the EU.
— John Clarke (@JohnClarke1960) June 24, 2016
— tolu ogunlesi (@toluogunlesi) June 24, 2016
— Mike Ward (@ScripMikeWard) June 24, 2016
— J.K. Rowling (@jk_rowling) June 24, 2016
I’m not worried, when has a combination of nationalism and economic depression ever resulted in something terrible happening in Europe?
— Scott Montgomery (@scottygumz) June 24, 2016
As £ tumbles, senior Labour MP tells me Boris Johnson has just ‘sacrificed a million jobs to get one’
— Libby Wiener (@LibbyWienerITV) June 24, 2016
This (probably) means the end of the UK as we have known it. Oh, and the government is pretty much shot, as well.
— Andrew Marr (@AndrewMarr9) June 24, 2016
Image Source: https://www.socialeurope.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Brexit.jpg